To fight this pandemic, we must radically re-imagine public health…
TO: the party leaders CC: all MPs
As health workers we will be fighting to protect the health and wellbeing of millions in the coming months.
We cannot win this fight if we fail to address the underlying social and economic issues trapping people, families and communities in cycles of poverty, poor health and despair.
As the people on the front line against Coronavirus, we call on all party leaders and all MPs to work together to ensure legislation is passed that protects everyone’s wellbeing now and through the duration of this crisis.
We are asking for the Government response to COVID-19 to provide for:
- Rent amnesty
- End of evictions
- Support to self-isolate safely
- Immediate cash payments for those who need it
- Guaranteed minimum income
- Job security for people self-isolating and need to take time off sick
- Amnesty on utility bills and debt repayments
Access to care
- End all Hostile Environment measures, including NHS charging and data-sharing
- Conduct a public information campaign to ensure people feel safe and able to access care
- End to trade sanctions that prevent countries responding effectively
- Cooperation to produce and supply medicine and equipment
- Cease all arms sales – conflict will only exacerbate the coronavirus crisis
We need to create social immunity by rethinking the ways we interact and care for one another.
Our public health is only as strong as our economic and social fabric.
- The unprotected many and the protected few: Working towards a health justice approach to future pandemic preparedness. - May 27, 2021
- Emergency Financial Protection - December 17, 2020
- Mitigating public health risk from evictions - August 20, 2020