- This event has passed.
Medact Race & Health Justice: Second Reading Group – “What’s in a name?”
March 15 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
For our next reading group event we will explore and critique a short paper examining categorisations used to refer to minority groups, alongside the roots and potential limitations of these terms. Please find the paper details below:
Selvarajah S, Deivanayagam TA, Lasco G, et al Categorisation and Minoritisation BMJ Global Health 2020;5:e004508. Accessible via this link: https://gh.bmj.com/content/5/12/e004508
Please consider the following questions when reading the article:
- What are the aims and interests of the authors for suggesting a change to the term BAME/BIPOC?
- How does the term ‘minoritised’ change the way we think about race and racism?
- What are the consequences of changing terms like BAME/BIPOC? What different actions can result from different terms such as minoritised, BAME and BIPOC?
In line with our group vision we see the reading group as a space where we can unlearn and challenge internalised racism, expand our anti-racist skills, encourage curiosity and openness, and to reflect on bringing this learning into our working and campaigning lives.
Practicalities and accessibility:
- We will circulate our group ground rules when you sign up, and ask that you only join us if you are happy to commit to these principles.
- Please read the article ahead of the reading group. If you would like an audio version, or to read it collectively with others before the group, please email us.
- We expect most attendees will be people working in healthcare, but the group is open to all.
- The reading group will be on Zoom – we will run through logistics at the start of the meeting, but if you are new to zoom there is a user guide here. The zoom application will download automatically when you click on a meeting link for the first time.
- We can provide captioning and/or BSL interpreting, please email us
- You are welcome to have your camera on or off, and to eat during the session, but please do come willing to contribute to the discussion!
- We will have a scheduled break halfway through.
- We will cap numbers in order to have a small and active discussion.
- Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to support you to attend.
If you have any queries prior to the event please feel free to email us: email@example.com
If you are unable to join this session, please do join our mailing list to hear about future events and how to get involved.