- This event has passed.
Health Needs of Forced Migrants
Friday 27th May, 2016 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Do you work with Asylum Seekers, Refugees, Individuals who have been Trafficked and People from other Migrant Groups?
Are you interested in providing support to individuals from such communities?
If so, we would like to inform you about a very exciting upcoming conference at the University of East Anglia on the 27th of May 2016.
This conference is bringing together many of the leaders in this field to offer unique and exciting training and networking opportunities to delegates on how best to support asylum seekers, unaccompanied asylum seeking children, refugees, individuals who have been trafficked and people from other migrant groups.
Key Note Speakers include:
- Maurice Wren, Chief Executive of The Refugee Council
- Alex Fraser, Head of Refugee Support at the British Red Cross
- Dr Angela Burnett, Lead Doctor, London Clinic of Freedom from Torture
- Andrew Keefe, Director of National Clinical Services, Freedom from Torture
- Gervais Koulungou-Mambs, British Red Cross, Norwich
- A panel of ‘Experts by Experience’ from across the globe
An array of workshops will allow delegates time to explore areas which are of particular relevance to their field of work.
- Supporting survivors of human trafficking, Dr Sian Oram, Lecturer in Women’s Mental Health, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neurosciences, Kings College London
- Honour Based Violence, Bal Howard, Suffolk Constabulary
- Working with Survivors of Torture, Dr Frank Arnold, Medact
- Exploring the Mental Health Needs of Forced Migrant Groups, Professor Cornelius Katona, Medical Director of the Helen Bamber Foundation
- Addressing Sexual Health in Migrant Groups, Samantha Gilliham, Doctors of the World
- Supporting Pregnant Asylum Seeking Women, Rosalind Bragg, Director of Maternity Action
- Supporting Asylum Seeking Children, Clare Shortall, Family Clinic Lead, Doctors of the World
- “No choices about me without me” Hearing Voices from a panel of Experts by Experience
- Working across languages, Nicky Glegg, Translation Consultant
Places cost £120 or £80 for students and charities. To secure a place please book now at https://www.uea.ac.uk/medicine-health-sciences/continuing-professional-development/mhc