The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill (PCSC) is a dangerous piece of legislation that undermines our fundamental rights, threatens all our safety, and implicates health workers in the expansion of violent police powers. Medact and Docs Not Cops have joined the Kill The Bill Coalition to stand in solidarity with everyone targeted by the Bill and fight back against these harmful policies.
On Monday 26th April 2021 we held an urgent briefing to discuss the public health impacts of the PCSC Bill, what the Kill The Bill Coalition is building towards and what health workers can do to get involved.
Many thanks to our panel of guest speakers:
- Dr Adam Elliott-Cooper, a research associate in sociology at University of Greenwich. He organised with The Monitoring Group and Black Lives Matter UK. He is author of Black Resistance to British Policing (Manchester University Press).
- Shanice, a feminist activist involved in direct action, community organising and the movement to #KillTheBill
- Chelsea McDonagh, an Irish Traveller with interests in education, policy and research
- Dr Hilary Aked, Medact Research Manager, who holds a PhD in political sociology and specialises in investigative research on topics including the pro-Israel lobby and the Prevent counter-extremism policy in healthcare.
- Why We All Have a Duty to Kill The Bill - April 27, 2021
- Brief: Animated video for our Health for a Green New Deal campaign - March 25, 2021
- The Holdstock-Piachaud Student Essay Prize – through the eyes of past winners - December 23, 2020