The climate crisis is the single biggest threat to public health. Medact has called for the UK to transition to a zero-carbon economy by 2030 as part of a bold Green New Deal but has no declared policy position on the extent to which nuclear energy should be part of a fossil free future.
This briefing aims to help our membership decide Medact’s position on civil nuclear power by:
- setting out the context including the climate crisis, current patterns of UK energy
production and use, and UK government plans for nuclear expansion
- explaining key arguments for and against nuclear power as part of the UK energy mix
in the context of zero carbon targets
- outlining three possible proposals for policy positions for Medact.
- Why there’s no room for population arguments in our radical public health analysis - May 27, 2022
- Global Health Watch 6 — in the shadow of the pandemic - May 26, 2022
- Pledge: Health workers against prevent - May 4, 2022