Arms Trade 101 & Intersecting Issues: CAAT Reading Series, episode 4 Reem Abu-Hayyeh
Our Peace and Security Campaigner, Reem Abu-Hayyeh, recently led a reading group for our friends at Campaign Against the Arms Trade on the topic of Coronavirus and the Arms Trade.
You can watch the talk Reem gave to introduce the topic and below are the readings she suggested for the participants – including a few by Medact members.
- Neil Singh, ‘Cholera and coronavirus: why we must not repeat the same mistakes’. Guardian, 1 May 2020.
- Reem Abu-Hayyeh, ‘Responding to coronavirus – intersections with war, militarised violence and the arms industry’. Medact, 21 April 2020.
- Hilary Wainwright, ‘Swords into ploughshares; planes into ventilator parts’. Red Pepper Magazine, June 2020.
- ‘Rethinking security: A discussion paper’. The Ammerdown Group, May 2016; pp. 50-63.
- Thusiyan Nandakumar, ‘A military mindset: Sri Lanka’s response to the coronavirus pandemic‘. Tamil Guardian.
On tear gas & coronavirus/ health:
- Dariouche Tehrani, ‘The colonial gas machine: teargas grenades, secular humanist police, and the intoxication of racialized lives‘. The Funambulist, 2017.
- Hannah Seo, ‘Tear gas during COVID-19 is a public health disaster‘. Popular Science, June 2020.