Learn how war and human rights violations affect health. Discover your unique role as a health worker. Speak out for the prevention of violence and promotion of peace.
In collaboration with the University of Bergen (Norway), the European Medical Peace Work Partnership offers a massive open online course (MOOC).
Register for the free course here.
Starting date: May 1st, 2017
Workload: 12 hours.
About the course
Violence affects health in multiple ways. Medical peace work is an important and emerging field of expertise in health, violence prevention, and peace-building.This course will introduce you to some of the key concepts, opportunities and dilemmas in the field through six case studies on causes, responses, roles, and duties of healthcare practitioners in dealing with violence and building peaceful societies.
Understand the role of healthcare in maintaining and building peaceful societies.
During the six weeks of this MOOC, we will cover six topics:
1. Recognising signs of domestic violence in clinical practice
2. Recognising and healing the effects of torture
3. Providing appropriate healthcare for refugees
4. Conflict-sensitive peace-health work in war and post-war areas
5. Preparing for the health effects of climate change
6. Responding to a nuclear explosion
Medical Peace Work is an emerging field of expertise in health work, violence prevention and peace building, and is a partnership of medical organisations including Medact, committed to the development of this new field.