Medact has been working with Physicians for Human Rights – Israel (PHR-I) to put together a team of medical expert to conduct an urgent independent fact-finding mission to Gaza.
Thus far we have secured the voluntary expertise of several medical experts. Their fields of expertise include forensic pathology, public health, health and human rights, paediatrics and intensive care. They will be briefed and accompanied by Physicians for Human Rights-Israel, and will work in close coordination with Palestinian human rights and medical groups in Gaza, visiting hospitals, emergency evacuation services, and sites of attacks. The evidence they gather will be submitted to the Commission of Inquiry established by the UN Human Rights Council in July.
But we need financial support to pay for travel and accommodation for the team and for the costs of disseminating their report and bringing it to the attention of the United Nations and other international players. If you are able to help, please enclose a cheque or visit our JustGiving page. Please leave a message with your donation saying “for Gaza”.
The purpose and aims of this mission
- To bear witness to the deaths and suffering of civilians in war
- To provide an independent public health account of the effects of the bombardment and war in Gaza
- To document the type and scale of human rights abuses that has occurred.
The independent Medact/PHR –I team will be collecting and analysing evidence of the following:
- Causes of injuries and of deaths with relation to types of arms used
- Attacks on medical facilities and teams
- Evacuation of the wounded and the dead
- Impact of the attack on the health system
- Impact of the attack on public health issues
- Other medically-related violations
Latest posts by Medact Staff (see all)
- Selling the Military – A critical analysis of contemporary recruitment marketing - February 27, 2019
- Scottish health professionals call on Glasgow City Council not to support arms fairs - June 25, 2018
- Healthcare shouldn’t be a hostile environment… - December 13, 2017