The climate crisis is the single biggest threat to public health. Medact has called for the UK to transition to a zero-carbon economy by 2030 as part of a bold Green New Deal but has no declared policy position on the extent to which nuclear energy should be part of a fossil free future.
This briefing aims to help our membership decide Medact’s position on civil nuclear power by:
- setting out the context including the climate crisis, current patterns of UK energy
production and use, and UK government plans for nuclear expansion
- explaining key arguments for and against nuclear power as part of the UK energy mix
in the context of zero carbon targets
- outlining three possible proposals for policy positions for Medact.
- Campaign and Programme Lead: Economic Justice @ Medact - September 23, 2021
- Serious violence measures in the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts (PCSC) Bill undermine public health - September 8, 2021
- Medact & nuclear power: considering our position - August 19, 2021