Medact is an exciting public health charity which is going places. Could you be our next Director?
We’re a dynamic membership organisation striving to inspire the health community to be better agents for progressive social change. Having developed out of original incarnations as the Medical Campaign Against Nuclear Weapons and the Medical Association for the Prevention of War, Medact now works across a broad variety of programme areas – including climate change, food systems, militarisation and economic justice – and provides a critical, progressive public health voice.
We’ve grown a lot in recent years, and are looking for the sort of experienced campaigns or health professional who can help us expand further whilst ensuring we maintain an effective management structure and a sound financial footing.
The successful candidate will have the planning and communication skills to work with a wide range of members, funders, delivery partners and civil society bodies to drive forward positive systemic change. They’ll also have the management, organisational and financial acumen to build a strong and sustainable organisation able to meet future challenges and seize on opportunities as they arise.
- Five years in a developmental/programming role in which strategic and operational development activities have played a significant part
- Demonstrable evidence of the capacity and skills to line manage a small team of creative staff and/or volunteers
- Excellent written and presentational skills and a demonstrable capacity to be a key public face of the organisation
- Demonstrable evidence of the skills and capacity to deliver, with appropriate professional and administrative input, sound financial and organisational management
It wouldn’t hurt:
- Health professional background and/or wide experience of one or more of the programming activities currently undertaken by Medact
- Experience in either an executive or non-executive role of the voluntary sector
- Experience of and skills in campaign work if a type that fits the ethos and values of the organisation
- Knowledge of and links to grant funders of the type that might engage with Medact’s work
- Established relationships / networks with NGOs, health professional bodies etc.
We can offer:
- £40,000+ salary per year, negotiable, dependent on experience
- London office base but with option for flexible working
- Occupational pension contribution
- This position is open to job share
Some practical details for your information:
Applications by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 23:59pm, Monday 5th June
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by the 16th June. First interviews: 4th and 6th July. Second interviews: 12th July (tbc).
Unfortunately Medact is not in a position to arrange work permits for anyone who does not have the right to work in the UK.
For initial enquiries, please contact either Ruth Stern on 07952424412 or Frank Boulton on 07920269047.