Working Groups: How to get involved
"Over the past century, and particularly during the past 20 years, there has been an asymmetry in national and global development, favouring the rich over the poor, the privileged over the marginalised, the free over the unfree. This has lead to an unprecedented accumulation of political and military power as well as intellectual, material and environmental resources in the hands of an elite few corporations, individuals and countries." It is time to act
Here is a list of actions being suggested by the Newcastle Medact Group. Have a look through them and think what you might like to do.
Come along to the next VCH meeting and discuss possible actions. It is much better to do things as a group than on your own.
1) pin up postcards and posters about Medact in your place of work and other places where health professionals congregate.
Time required 10 mins every 2-3 months
2) Letter to local press about a national issue with pertinence to your local area eg refugees, radioactive waste, Iraq War, local nuclear weapons facility, global warming etc etc signed by yourselves plus your local group name eg Medact Tyneside
Time 20 mins
3) Letter to your local health professional group eg BMA or RCN or Union about health effects of Iraq war or landmines or arms trade or skills drain or other health related topic
time 20 mins
4) letter to your MP about a topical national issue eg Iraq war time 20 mins
5) Offer to give a talk at your local health professional group about a health related topic
time 1-2 hours to prepare
1 hour to give talk
5) arrange a meeting with your MP to discuss a topical issue. |They are usually in their constituencies from Friday to Sunday night. They can be tempted on a Friday night by the offer of a buffet meal to visit your house . Alternatively they organise surgeries in their constituencies on a Saturday usually once a month and you can meet them there. You might find it helpful to write to them in advance giving details about what you want to discuss so that they have done some homework.
time 20 mins to write to MP
10 mins to chase up letter
1-2 hours for meeting
1 hour for cooking
alternatively 30 mins if you meet him at his/her surgery on a saturday morning.
6) if you have a medical school near you ,you could offer to help with education days for students planning electives in the third world time 2-3 hours contacting med school and making arrangements
1 hour preparing talk
2 hours at elective meeting
7) similarly if med school nearby ,you could contact MedSin students and tempt them to a joint meeting with an offer of a buffet supper and an interesting speaker ( Medact can provide speakers) time this is a fairly hefty time commitment - ongoing but fun 8) organise a concert for peace with your local Musicians against Nuclear Arms group. I am certain that there are other good ideas from other groups If you are interested and would like to start a group I would be happy to offer advice help assistance etc email firstname.lastname@example.org
time 2-3 months work